This morning I decided, in my wisdom, that it would be fun to join in with a blog challenge. I only get to play occasionally and, because 'Bloglovin' had put up Simply Less Is More
, that became the challenge of choice. Today's 'Less is More' challenge is predominantly black. Simples! I'd already seen Jen Nelson's
entry as I am a huge fan of her blog. She makes Clean and Simple look so easy. This should be a walk in the park! Yeah, right!
Well, I started by looking for the perfect stamp - and I found it, really quickly. It was a parcel that had come as part of a set free with some magazine purchased long ago and I'd never gotten around to using. It was a simple image that wouldn't need colouring and would be perfect in black ink on white card. OK, let's stamp. And I did - about a dozen times! Finally, I managed to stamp an image I was happy with. Yippee! Next, in order to add a little detail to the card I decided to emboss a diamond pattern on my card blank. My main idea involved a square embossed in the centre of my card blank. Guess how easy that turned out to be, not!
Anyway, I persevered. After several attempts I got one I was happy with. Fabulous. I picked up the finished result to take a photograph and...managed to put an inky mark on the side of the card. GRRRR! I couldn't believe it. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed etc, etc.
Having struggled to get my square panel in the centre on my first attempt I got wise and decided a matted panel would do just as well. After all, I had matted the stamped image onto black. I was just carrying on the theme. I had seen a card with a negative sentiment in a black panel and thought it would look different on my second attempt. So I cut out the 'Congratulations' word from my Tattered Lace word dies and started to fiddle with all the little bits...which turned out to be far more of a faff than I thought it was going to be. So hay ho, I gave up and stuck the sentiment on. I finished off the stamp with a single red gem stone to add a little something and I had my finished card...which looked a lot more complicated than I had intended, GRRR!
So, I went back to my first attempt. I thought, if I turned it around and added some ribbon and a bow, I would hide the inky spot and get away with it. However, it now looked unbalanced so I added another ribbon and bow to the top of the card to balance it up. Stuck a couple of red gems on to key it all in and had a nice card for the challenge. But it wasn't what I had originally intended, GRRR!
So, I went back to the drawing board. I embossed the whole front of the card so it could be seen more easily and added my matted, stamped image with just a single red gem. There, simples!
But, do you know what, despite the frustration of not getting it right first time. I actually enjoyed my morning and I finally ended up with three similar cards which all fit the criteria and which, in the end, I actually liked. So here they are.
Take your pick folks. In the end, I really couldn't decide.
Thanks for reading.
Love Dawn x