Saturday 4 April 2015

Less is...a pain in the proverbial

This morning I decided, in my wisdom, that it would be fun to join in with a blog challenge.  I only get to play occasionally and, because 'Bloglovin' had put up Simply Less Is More , that became the challenge of choice.  Today's 'Less is More' challenge is predominantly black.  Simples!   I'd already seen Jen Nelson's entry as I am a huge fan of her blog.  She makes Clean and Simple look so easy.  This should be a walk in the park! Yeah, right!

Well, I started by looking for the perfect stamp - and I found it, really quickly.  It was a parcel that had come as part of a set free with some magazine purchased long ago and I'd never gotten around to using.  It was a simple image that wouldn't need colouring and would be perfect in black ink on white card.  OK, let's stamp. And I did - about a dozen times!  Finally, I managed to stamp an image I was happy with.  Yippee!  Next, in order to add a little detail to the card I decided to emboss a diamond pattern on my card blank.  My main idea involved a square embossed in the centre of my card blank.  Guess how easy that turned out to be, not!
Anyway, I persevered.  After several attempts I got one I was happy with.  Fabulous.  I picked up the finished result to take a photograph and...managed to put an inky mark on the side of the card. GRRRR!  I couldn't believe it.  Oh well, if at first you don't succeed etc, etc.

Having struggled to get my square panel in the centre on my first attempt I got wise and decided a matted panel would do just as well.  After all, I had matted the stamped image onto black.  I was just carrying on the theme.  I had seen a card with a negative sentiment in a black panel and thought it would look different on my second attempt. So I cut out the 'Congratulations' word from my Tattered Lace word dies and started to fiddle with all the little bits...which turned out to be far more of a faff than I thought it was going to be. So hay ho, I gave up and stuck the sentiment on.  I finished off the stamp with a single red gem stone to add a little something and I had my finished card...which looked a lot more complicated than I had intended, GRRR!

So, I went back to my first attempt.  I thought, if I turned it around and added some ribbon and a bow, I would hide the inky spot and get away with it.  However, it now looked unbalanced so I added another ribbon and bow to the top of the card to balance it up.  Stuck a couple of red gems on to key it all in and had a nice card for the challenge.  But it wasn't what I had originally intended, GRRR!

So, I went back to the drawing board.  I embossed the whole front of the card so it could be seen more easily and added my matted, stamped image with just a single red gem.  There, simples!

But, do you know what, despite the frustration of not getting it right first time.  I actually enjoyed my morning and I finally ended up with three similar cards which all fit the criteria and which, in the end, I actually liked. So here they are.

Take your pick folks.  In the end, I really couldn't decide.

Thanks for reading.

Love Dawn x


  1. Dawn they make a super set, three chic variations on a theme!
    Thanks for joining us at Less is More this week
    Less is More

  2. You're right they're all fab!
    Well done you!
    Three for the price of one...well sort of!
    Thanks so much
    "Less is More"

  3. I think you've done fabulous Dawn and well done for persevering.
    Each one is fabulous in it's own right and well worthy of a place in this week's gallery. Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
    Sarah xx
    Less is More

  4. This is great. Happy Easter xx Jan