Tuesday 21 August 2018

Crafts and Books...My Idea of Heaven

As my regular readers know, I'm a bit of a one for blog stalking.  I especially love the odd challenge blog.  Can you imagine how I felt when I found The Library Challenge .  Oh my goodness, I'm in heaven.  If I'm not crafting, I'm reading - and this covers both bases.  I've been stalking it for a few weeks now but this week's I just had to join.

Several years ago (over twenty but who's counting) I did a home study course in A level English Language and Literature.  I know I have an odd idea of what's fun but learning to me just is.  One of the books we studied was Maya Angelou's 'I know why the caged bird sings'.  I'd not come across her before this but I've read all her biographical books since.  I also had the chance to see her on stage in Manchester.  Unfortunately, and to my eternal regret, myself and my friend chose to go by train.  We got on the train but it didn't move.  We couldn't afford a taxi and we'd left it too late for a bus so I never got to see this amazing women.  Anyway, as this is the subject of this current challenge I chose to pay tribute to her in my own way.

The card is made using an old Sheena Douglas Stamp from the Kimono set (I don't think it's available any more).  I decided not to use the cage in the set but to keep it simple with this gorgeous bird.  I hope you like it. 


I added the simple sentiment and a few obsidian dots over the inked background.  I must have been psychic as I bought the Spiced Marmalade distress ink on the way home from work this evening and it was just what I needed for this challenge.

Thanks for reading.

Love Dawn 

4 comments:

  1. A super card Dawn, this sounds like the perfect challenge for you - such a shame that you didn't get to meet the author.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty interpretation of the challenge inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny Dawn, ive just finished a card with a circle and a bird and dream big sentiment. Can't show it yet though! Anyway beautiful card and im going to hop and take a peek at the challenge too. I hope you enjoy the bank holiday weekend. Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is interesting - it's sad you didn't get to see her and yet you still have a memory connected to her. This card is just perfect - beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for joining The Library.

    ReplyDelete