Wednesday 12 June 2019

It's Nail Polish - But Not as You Know It!

Time for a new technique challenge over at Back to Basics and Beyond and I have to admit to never having seen this one before.  It's called the Nail Polish Technique.  There are tutorials on You Tube if you want to see it done but it's basically putting nail polish into a bowl of water, swirling it around to make patterns and then dropping a piece of card onto the top.  When the card comes out the patterned polish makes a lovely abstract background.  Apparently, cheaper nail polish is the best to use as it's runny.  Brilliant, I only own cheap nail polish (which is probably why you don't see me with painted nails).

I used a red and a glittery gold in my water and that's where I should have stopped.  Instead I also dropped in some pearly white which was a bit of a disappointment.  I used acetate rather than card for my first attempt and I'm pretty pleased with the result.  I also dipped a piece of pearlised white card.  I'm not so keen on that but my husband loves it and says it's very 'Chinese' looking.  Apparently, I've got to use my Chinese dragon stamp and mount it on the background and it'll look awesome.  'Yes dear' but not today as I need to get this other one done.



I kept it pretty simple for my card and chose a nice bit of the acetate to go behind a panel I'd cut in two.  I just added a die cut sentiment and a couple of glittery gem thingies and left it at that.
Now, where did I put that dragon stamp?

Please pop over and have a go.  It's a really fun technique to try.  Even I enjoyed it and I hate getting messy.

Thanks for reading.

Love Dawn x

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant make Dawn, love your card

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous card Dawn, such a brilliant technique and great CAS design.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that "swish" of nail polish on your card. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card and design Dawn, I love the colors of polish you used and gold sentiments, very beautiful!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dawn, this card is so beautiful. Love the colors you used here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card and design, love your nail polish panel. Another one for me to try, love the colours you've used. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. Never thought of trying acetate! Must remember it for next time.
    Love the clean card you created.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card looks really pretty Dawn, I didn't think of using acetate but I will give that a try next time. I love the colours you used too, very pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that's an awesome card Dawn! I have never heard of that technique... now where did I put my nail polish... hugs Alli XoX

    ReplyDelete